Struggling to light your fire? Even when using kiln dried logs to fuel your fire there are several things that can stop you from lighting a fire effectively. Read our top tip below to make sure you get your fire lit in no time!
1. Make Sure Your Logs Are Kiln Dried
If you are unable to burn your logs there's a possibility that the moisture content is above 20%. The moisture prevents the log from burning and can produce nasty black smoke when lit. Burning wet wood means most of the heat generated is used to burn off excess water so the less moisture content the better.
2. Keep The Logs At Room Temperature
Logs kept at room temperature will combust far more easier than logs that have been kept in cold outdoor conditions. We suggest keeping a bunch of logs aside to store in your home so that they are ready to be burned at your convenience.
3. Have Your Chimney Cleaned
Your chimney should be swept at least once per year. If your chimney hasn't been swept or cleaned in the last 12 months there may not be enough draw on the fireplace from the chimney to keep the fire going. This can also cause a build up of creosate in the flue which can greatly increase the risk of a chimney fire.
4. Don't Use Too Many Logs
Building a fire too quickly with too many logs can create smoke when there is not enough energy for all of the wood to light. Less is more when it comes to lighting a fire, just add one or two logs at a time and this will allow the logs to feed of each other as they burn.
5. Check If Your Flue Is Cold
If your fire goes out shortly after being lit, there's a chance your chimney is suffering from "cold chimney syndrome". This is when too much cool air pushes down into your wood burning stone/chimney it prevents room temperature air from being drawn into the fire.
If this happens you can warm your stove/chimney by rolling up a piece of news paper and lighting it at the one end. Hold the flame inside at the top of your appliance for a short while until you can see that the smoke from the newspaper is rising up into your chimney which indicates it is ready for use.